Nature First – The Alliance for Responsible Nature Photography
In the spring of 2019, a group of professional photographers, including myself, launched a new initiative to address some of the impacts of nature photography on our planet. This movement has grown from a small handful of people to a global movement that is changing the culture of nature photography. As an active member, founder and current executive director of this movement, I am dedicated to following the Nature First Principles and applying them in the environments that I photograph in. While the principles themselves seem quite simple on the surface, they represent a great deal of thought and have the potential to have a significant influence on photography, hopefully reducing some of the damage caused by this activity. You'll find more details and explanation of how the principles can be applied on the Nature First website.
- Prioritize the well-being of nature over photography.
- Educate yourself about the places you photograph.
- Reflect on the possible impact of your actions.
- Use discretion if sharing locations.
- Know and follow rules and regulations.
- Always follow Leave No Trace principles and strive to leave places better than you found them.
- Actively promote and educate others about these principles.
If you take photos in the natural world whether as a professional or amateur, I encourage you to become a part of this movement. Learn about the depth behind these simple principles and join us at: www.naturefirstphotography.org/principles